- select the file you want to print
- hit spacebar to open a Quick Look of it
- then, hit CMD + P to send it to your printer.
I've been thinking about what it means to be a man. I'd like to think that I can bypass this step by not taking on responsibility, but the truth is, I'm a man regardless. Am I gonna be a good one or a sucky one? This is what I think a man is...It doesn't mean I'm macho, but I'm not dependent. I'm not emotionless, but I don't let emotion prevent me from providing security. I am not arrogant, but I'm confident enough to give others confidence in me. I am not anti-feminism. I am independently strong regardless of anyone else's opinions or lifestyles. I get these qualities by working to have them honestly. I am 100% responsible for my actions and that's it. I try to make them all positive. This is the prayer of St. Francis.
Lord, make me a channel of thy peace; that where there is hatred, I may bring love; that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness; that where there is discord, I may bring harmony; that where there is error, I may bring truth; that where there is doubt, I may bring faith; that where there is despair, I may bring hope; that where there are shadows, I may bring light; that where there is sadness, I may bring joy. Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted; to understand, than to be understood; to love, than to be loved. For it is by self-forgetting that one finds. It is by forgiving that one is forgiven. It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life.I am an atheist, but I say it every morning as part of meditation to help me think about the way I'd like to live. Sometimes I think of it in terms of helping others, and sometimes it's all about me. EXAMPLES To Help Others: I can think about people who make me feel uncomfortable - how they need comforting too. To Help Myself: I can think about how I do unhealthy things like watch TV expecting comfort to passively come to me. Instead, I can put in the effort to actively comfort myself by making myself a nice meal or taking a walk or talking to loved ones.
- Sloth = You treat teaching like it's a tough thing that you don't really want to be doing. Your energy transfers to your students more than your knowledge, so you're making more people feel like they're wasting their time.
- Monkey = Try to teach people to do what you do based on what you THINK you do. The trouble with this is that you don't know what you do and from a master's perspective, the way you do everything is different now than when you learned.
- Parrot = Repeat and teach exactly the way you were taught. Doesn't leave room for progress. If you had a bad teacher, you'll be a bad teacher. If you had a good teacher, they would be disappointed in you.
- Raccoon = Resourceful and cunning, you see the goal -- for the student to learn the thing -- then you do whatever it takes to get the student to the goal. I guess the downside of this is that you have to put a lot of energy into being engaged and you won't feel perfectly confident all the time. The results are worth it. I'm a raccoon.
Comedians need to stop complaining that they can't make a living. I am a professional comedy performer and I've seen comedy be devalued over the past 12 years that I've been full-time. Because it's been slow, I've been able to see it happening and have had time to get over a lot of my initial anger or fear. I see the depreciation of funny-business as just one example of the evolution of commercial art. Here's a list of a few things that help to take the monetary value out of comedy. I'll try to not spout too much nostalgia.Read more »
Shame can alienate a person more making them less compassionate and more defensive.Here are a few movies that made me feel less racist. They struck me with the individuality of the personalities and the similarities to familiar lifestyles. Even if they didn't make me less racist, they made me feel better and made me feel more connected to humanity. That's pretty good stuff!
Crips And Bloods Made in Americathis is a documentary about gangs and riots and police repression. It's about the simplicity of people trying to make a tolerable world for themselves. It's not too rough. Feels a little biased, but it's very nicely presented.
Do The Right ThingI like Spike Lee a lot. This movie is beautiful to me in its storytelling and cinematic magic. It shows Spike's caricaturized impression of black New Yorkers in their neighborhood cage. It shows race and human issues from a young, testosterone-rich, progress-hungry scope.
Black Power MixtapeThis wasn't what I thought it would be. Recorded by Swedes, this is a laid-back collection of beautiful archival footage and voices of then and now. It's the story of the Black Panthers and stuff from a foreigner seeking an accurate depiction of America.
Hoop DreamsA brilliant documentary about two boys growing up in Philadelphia. All the struggle of them going from street ball to the pros and how difficult it is for them to sacrifice so much for a chance.
What are your racial issues / movies
Please leave me a comment saying what you think of me or these movies or other movies that you think are good to share here.